fan page

fan page
Facebook fan page

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Why HP is a horrible company

The first photo you see is a screen cap from a computer we bought from HP. For us it is a huge deal. The computer we have is old and shuts down often every five minutes or so making running my business small business and trying to expand it very difficult. So we saved and found the perfect computer. It had all the things I need and a few others like a HDMI port which we really wanted as well. So when our computer showed up it did not have the HDMI port or a 6 card reader but a 3 card.

We thought oh well that sucks but we will call them. Surely after putting almost $600.00 into a computer getting this straightened out won't be to hard. The hell it won't First we waited on hold forever then we finally got a guy who kept telling us that our computer did not come with these things. We explained if he looked on the HP website at what it says the computer we ordered came with he would see they had made the error not us. Some how that was not working. He finally agreed to give us a port if we shipped it back and then they would send another computer after they made it. I said that would maybe work but I wanted expedited shipping tossed in as I lose money everyday I cannot do much online for my small business and this was all there mistake. He said he could not give me things for free I would have to talk to returns. This was about a hour and 15 minutes in of talking to someone who I could only make out about every 3rd word he said and who seemed to have no understanding of my speech as well. I said fine kick me over to returns then.

So the first lady I spoke to in returns then told us again our computer came with none of this stuff and she could do nothing either. We would have to go back to the customer service guy and get a ticket number. I said no give me a manager of some kind as it had been about another 45 minutes. She informed me no manager was available then so she would send me to resolutions.

Resolutions proved to be somewhat useful. At this point I had to hand it back of to my husband he is sick and takes some serious medications for high blood pressure so with him having a cold I wanted to make him some lunch to keep him on his schedule of pills. No one in their right mind would of expected 2hrs later to still be on the phone.

This lady finally brought up the page and the husband got her to see yes indeed you owe us some improvements. When I got back on the phone she told me that first they thought it would just be easiest to charge me almost $600.00 again then release my first purchase funds in 3-5 business days. I told her there was no way a company as lacking in basic business skills was doing any such a thing. Then she said it would be OK they could just charge us $40.00 and some change more and that they would refund that when they ship the new computer. I said no you guys will have to work that out on your own. I do not feel comfortable with being put over a barrel to get you to repair something you sent out wrong. Well she sent me on to another supervisor who said yes that apparently the only way HP can repair your item even if they screw it up and send you a bad item is to charge you then refund it. So in desperate need of a new computer I agreed with one stipulation. I wanted a letter sent to my email stating that I would get that additional $40.00 refunded upon shipment of the new computer. She said she would and we got it all worked out. At this point we were in for about 3hrs.

Then I took a break and had lunch. Then I checked the email and realized nothing ever came. So I thought OK this is not to bad surely I can just call back and make sure they have the right email. Nope that was wrong as well. First I talked to a man named John. He said he could fix it and send me all the emails I was missing. According to them I had given them a messed up email. I doubt that but OK maybe I did lets just get it fixed. So one message came from John just a FedEx will pick up the other computer letter no actual letter about the $40.00. So I called back and talked to a woman named Princess for 35 minutes who told me she could not send me anything but gave me her firm assurance I would get reimbursed. At this point I demanded a supervisor. She sent me a email after about 45 minutes. So all in all I am out a new computer for about 2 more weeks. I had to spend 5hrs ball park talking to people who were supposed to be manning a customer service line that had no clue what I was saying, I could not understand anything they said unless I sat in complete silence and from that all I could gather was they did not grasp basic customer service. Oh and had to pay $40.00 more dollars I am supposedly going to to get back. No one should have to pay more and spend 5 hours on the phone to get what they ordered. Oh and never not once was I offered a discount of any kind for the massive day long project of dealing with them. Frankly I feel like I had to work for them and do their job for the day so really I should of been paid.

This company is a total nightmare I have no confidence what does show up will be the proper computer and not once in the entire time I worked with them did I feel at all like my being a customer was appreciated. My advice is avoid this blight on the computer industry at all cost. Down below is the only proper thing they sent the new monitor. I included a photo of it was a gift my friend Barbara sent me. I think it represents my view of them nicely. I took a photo of it with my shop on the page because I wanted to show how they like to screw people over and in this case my little company. Get bent HP you will never get my business again.

11 comments:

  1. Followed the link from Business Topics in the Etsy Forum..

    I'm sorry this happened to you.

    I'm also sorry, but every time I read your business name, I read it as "crappy" not "cappy" Can you explain what Cappy Sue is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure Cappy Sue is a mix of my own name and my nickname I use it because people recognize me by it. Also I find it very comical that people fairly often read it as Crappy and being as a big part of my shop is about humor it works well. Thank you about this horrible HP business stuff I just really wanted to worn people what they are dealing with when they buy from them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry you had such a bad experiance, My experiance with HP was the opposite I purchased an old hp out of warranty and tech support worked for 2 days with me to try and help me fix it.. I ended up buying a brand new HP.. I have never had a problem with any HP I ever owned except the one I bought used that the precious owner had stripped down to nothing..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah I am getting tons of messages from friends after I put this up on Facebook telling me that they had issues like mine. It is just crazy I am glad you got a good bit of help though. Maybe I just got all the 5-6 people who are useless and work there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HP is a nightmare. I bought a brand new touchscreen computer from them, first one, the touchscreen was dead. 2nd one had an imminent hard drive fail that I had to manually fix myself(they were so kind as to ship me a hard drive, right?) They treat you like an idiot and the whole experience is usually horrible. Sorry you had to go through this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks I am just floored that it took me 5hrs and they never even bothered to properly apologize. Sorry to hear they treated you so poorly as well. Jesus next time I am running arms open towards something higher end. Years ago we got stuff from them and it was great but I should remember that was 15yrs ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, I'm so sorry to hear this. HP really does suck. :( If you still need/want help, contact me and I will get my IT Tech husband to see what advice he can offer over the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jeni, Thank you so much that is really kind. I am hoping they come through and apologize and do something to make this right. But if not I will be sure to ask. You are very sweet to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My last work computer was a HP laptop. A sorrier piece of machinery never graced the earth - it played up from day one, but because of work's complicated lease arrangement we couldn't just replace it. It came back from 'fixing' with a huge dent in the top of the case and still not working properly. Nevermore!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My experience with HP has been horrible. I bought a defective computer, yet from day one the techs promised there is nothing wrong with it. You'd think that after 30 plus phone calls and repeated re-formatting, they'd say something different but it was always, "maam, there's nothing wrong now. We fix it and you should have no more problems."

    Well, finally I put my foot down and wanted a new computer but they said they had to first try to fix it. I've sent it in twice, and it keeps having the same issues. I asked what does it take to get a new computer, since mine is still under warranty and it had been doing the same thing since day one. The response was, "The only way you can get a new computer is if this one is considered defective."

    I asked what was their definition of defective, and she said, "It can't be repaired by a technician."

    "Perfect. That defines my computer." I told them that I had given their techs plenty of opportunities to fix the computer and they haven't been able to. And how do I get treated for purchasing a $900 defective product from them? As if I'm in the wrong.

    Yes, I'm in the wrong.
    1) I should have listened to the salesperson who suggested I buy a Dell.
    2) I should have returned the computer from the moment I noticed there was a problem rather than trusting the lying HP techs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HP - man, I've been loyal to this company, buy only HP for several years. Their tech support has gone way downhill. I bought a notebook a few years ago due to a good sale, knowing my laptop at that time was on borrowed time. I didn't set up the new notebook for almost a year. I just tried to access one of the pre-loaded programs (microsoft office) and it didn't load. HP tech support told me I would have to buy into additional warranty to cover any questions. Forget that. Last time I do HP - I'm off to get a Dell within the next few months, will NEVER buy an HP product again.

    ReplyDelete