Wednesday, September 26, 2012
This brooch pendant was one of the things I noticed this week. It was my very first handmade purchase. I bought it twenty some odd years ago at our annual winter craft bazaar at my school.
I was in the third grade and I loved those events. The winter one had music, if we were lucky a little snow and tons of holiday decorations. I had saved up about twenty bucks to do my Christmas shopping. Well when I came across this lady who had a table full of these and earrings, rings all kinds of things I thought it was just magical. I must have touched everything on that poor woman's table.
My questions all about how she made them and everything she endured. To me the fact she could make this at home on her own was crazy I had no idea people could do things like this. I bought this one for myself and one for my mother.
It was $5.00 and for me that was big money. I then wore this thing every place I could being a little kid and that it is clearly more for a adult I looked strange and that was a very modern style to wear back then even as a adult. What it did for me was this. It made me realize how very important it is to buy things you love. It also made me think about how very early you can be lucky enough to get introduced to handmade ooak world if you are really lucky.
I really wish there was a way for me to thank that woman for not saying little kid get the hell off my table but talking to me and letting me enjoy her craft. There is a little hope in my that she somehow knows all these years later her brooch is a treasure to the person who bought it.
With this in mind I am thinking of adding a special come on over and touch it section for my craft tables at holiday shows this year to encourage little ones to get into the idea that very special things can be made and not come from a big box shop.
Thanks for listening to me ramble.
Saturday, September 22, 2012
1. Decorate like a mad woman. All summer and spring I pluck along with some decorations but not much. Boy when fall comes I jump in feet first. This house has all kinds of things in my favorite fall colors out. Every year I try to expand the collection by one thing.
2. Make one decoration just for me. This year I believe it will be one of my nest I am popping up in my shop.
3. Orchards and pumpkin farm. I love our local folks they have great little farms to go pick out things. Going with the husband can be lots of fun. He picks the apples because well he is about a foot taller than me. I stare at the pumpkins for much longer than necessary till he cannot buy any longer that I am actually choosing and not just screwing him around. Then there is the petting zoo and I knock all the small children out of the way if need be to pet those babies.
4. Put away all the summer clothing and pull out all the Fall stuff. It does not sound like much fun but I always use it as a reason to get rid of clothing that has not been worn and I have a small obsession with organization.
5. Creepy movie nights. I have about 3-4 between now and Halloween. I try to plan them when we don't have to work the next day it makes it easier to wake up and check the room for monsters in the middle of the night.
6. Cider I love cider and find you can pretend anything is fun if you have enough of it that is spiked with something good.
7. Halloween night is always one of our favorites I will get into those traditions later in the blog.
8. Telling ghost stories here and in general. Creeping yourself out is a hoot.
9. Star gazing. This is one of the best times of the year to see some great things and very soon you can do it without 5000 mosquito's annoying you.
10. Dragging out all the sweaters, blankets, throws and long socks I own.
So what gets you into fall?
Wednesday, September 12, 2012
Other things that make me laugh are my neighbor who fights for 40 minutes trying to make his lawn mower work every week only to give up and then go sit on the porch and drink.
My old dog and how she whines when I have food she wants like she never gets fed.
The fact my uterus seems to be trying to fight its way out of my body despite losing the fight for the last 20yrs or so. So friends I ask you what makes you laugh?
If you would like to see my stash boxes on sale or my other art just go here. https://www.etsy.com/listing/109293464/marijuana-leaf-tiny-box
Monday, September 10, 2012
Agreed to donate a doll to a animal charity because well I am a giant sucker for animals. Then finished this little bit of odd. I love the whizzing kitty and hope it makes you all laugh like lunatics. So glad Fall is pretty much here now. Could do without the massive cramps but hey shit happens.
Whats shaking world?